Legal Services

Legal Services


Legal assistance is provided to military dependents as available, Assistance can be sought on support and dissolution issues, Although military counsel may not represent individuals in civil court matters, they can assist in determining what, if any, benefits a military spouse would be entitled to upon dissolution of marriage and may review pro se divorce pleadings.

After a court order for dissolution is obtained, former spouses are no longer entitled to legal assistance. Former spouses may seek legal assistance on behalf of minor dependents who are supported by a servicemember and are living with the former spouse.

(NOTE from BJ 'n Cindy: This was designed by and for the US Naval Service, but the information should be similar for all services. The information while deemed reliable should not be the substitute for consultation with an attorney (either civilian or military), or any other federal or state agency which may be chartered with providing assistance.)

The material in this handbook is current as of September 1993. Prepared by LCDR D. L. KARR, JAGG, USN, Naval Legal Service Office, Puget Sound.