Govt Housing

Govt Housing

Reference: OPNAVINST 1110113J

Servicemembers retain their eligibility for assignment to accompanied quarters (government housing) so long as both the service member and his or her dependents reside in the quarters. In the event of a marital break-up, accompanied quarters entitlement ends when either the service member or all of the dependents move from the housing unit.

Dependents are normally not entitled to remain in government housing after the servicemember has moved from government quarters in anticipation of divorce. The only time the entitlement may remain after the service member moves from government quarters is if the couple is involved in marital counseling and documentation of the counseling' is provided to the respective housing office. This determination of entitlement is made by the respective housing office.

If a non-military spouse moves from government quarters and dependent children remain In the quarters with the servicemember, the entitlement to the quarters remains. A servicemember who shares custody of dependent children retains entitlement, to government quarters (or bedroom entitlements) so long as documentation is provided that the servicemember is entitled to custody For at least 9 consecutive months a year.

Expenses incurred in moving personal belongings from government quarters, either before or after a dissolution of the marriage, are not reimbursed by the government.

(NOTE from BJ 'n Cindy: This was designed by and for the US Naval Service, but the information should be similar for all services. The information while deemed reliable should not be the substitute for consultation with an attorney (either civilian or military), or any other federal or state agency which may be chartered with providing assistance.)

The material in this handbook is current as of September 1993. Prepared by LCDR D. L. KARR, JAGG, USN, Naval Legal Service Office, Puget Sound.